Motor Vehicle Accident
This is a stressful, scary and often painful experience. Trying to navigate the processes with the insurance and legal world while recovering from injuries can be confusing and tiresome. We can help.
We have over 10 years experience
We guarantee you will receive the best quality of care
At Energize Health, our clinicians have been helping people recover from car accidents and navigate the world of insurance claims for over 10 years. If you have been involved in a car accident and have any questions, please give us a call and we will be happy to help you navigate the system. You do not need to live in pain due to an accident, and you do not need to go through this stressful experience alone. We are here to help you with your insurance claim and get you back to living life pain free.
In Alberta, the Insurance Act is a piece of legislation outlining the medical treatment and compensation you may be entitled to when you are involved in a motor vehicle accident. In the interest of making this complicated legislation easier, we have outlined the basic steps for dealing with an MVA injury insurance claim.
What You Need to Know
- When involved in an MVA, it is important to contact your insurer as soon as possible. It does not matter if you think you are at fault or if another party is at fault. If you are injured, you are entitled to medical treatment.
- Within 10 days of the accident, you will need to fill out an AB-1 (Proof of Loss) insurance form. This form is your official statement to your insurance company regarding what happened and where you are feeling pain/injury. These forms can be found online, or we have them available at Energize Health.
- As soon as possible, book an appointment with our chiropractor or physiotherapist. One of these health care providers will fill out an AB-2 assessment form. This is the official diagnosis of your injuries from the car accident, and that practitioner will become your primary care provider for your insurance claim. If you are booking your first appointment after an MVA with one of our chiropractors online, the appointment type you want to select is ” MVA (Motor Vehicle Accident) – Initial Assessment”. You may also contact us and we will be happy to book your appointment for you.
- Depending on your diagnosis and degree of injury, you will be entitled to either 10 or 21 rehabilitation treatments to be used within 90 days of the accident. These treatments can be any combination of chiropractic, massage therapy, acupuncture or physiotherapy. You will work with your primary care provider to determine the best treatment plan for you. Ultimately you choose what type of therapy you receive and what practitioner(s) you choose to see. Our clinic can directly bill your car insurance company for your treatment.
- If you are not at fault for the car accident, your premiums will not increase due to accessing any treatment. Even if you are deemed to be at fault, accessing treatments will not cause any increase in your premiums as that is determined by the number of at fault accidents you have, not the cost of the accidents.
- If you are not feeling back to your pre-accident health status at the completion of the 90 days or your allotted number of treatments, your physiotherapist or chiropractor will complete an AB-4 and request access for more treatment. Approval of this request is at the discretion of your insurance company but is often approved. These benefits are called Section B benefits and are often a specific dollar amount or treatment visit amount for different practitioner types (chiropractic, physiotherapy, massage therapy, acupuncture etc.)
If you have any questions, or would like to book your initial appointment with one of our physiotherapists, chiropractors or treatment with another one of our clinicians, please contact us or book online.
Recent post's from our Clinicians
Acupuncture therapy has been a well-known part of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) since ancient times dating back at least 3000 yrs. However, for anyone new to the realm of holistic medicine, th...
Fire Cupping is a modality of Traditional Chinese Medicine and has been around for thousands of years.
Unlike most traditional manual therapy techniques, which compresses tissue (massage th...
This is the month of resolutions, new gym memberships, scary credit card statements, and increased depression. The third Monday of January, "Blue Monday", is said to be the most depressing day of t...